The Family Specialist Credential (FSC) is for professionals who provide direct services to children and their families. They work in a variety of settings and their titles vary as well. Some of the positions who would apply for the FSC might be Family Case Workers, Parent Educators, or Family Advocates. Those earning the FSC will have special knowledge of managing family relationships and documented "family related" work experience.
You can earn the Gateways Family Specialist Credential by compiling your education, experience and qualifications or attending an entitled institution and completing the required program. If you recently attended (since 2014) and completed the required FSC courses at one of the Entitled Institutions below, your application will be processed through the Entitled Route. If you did not, your application will go through the Direct Route process. To make it easier on you the Steps to Apply are the same.
If you have a Bachelor's or Graduate degree in Social Work from a nationally accredited program, you may qualify for the Family Specialist Credential Level 5. Visit www.cswe.org for a directory of accredited programs.
Steps to Apply
- Become a Gateways Registry member.
- Download the Family Specialist Credential Application.
- Fill out the Supplement Application including the Work & Practical Experience Form and Information Update Form.
- Enclose a $65 check for credential fee (made payable to INCCRRA) or make a payment online by logging into your Registry Dashboard. Click on My Registry and then choose the Make a Payment section.
- Mail these documents to:
1226 Towanda Plaza
Bloomington, IL 61701
Entitled for the FSC
If you recently attended (since 2014) and completed the required FSC courses at one of the following Entitled Institutions, you may apply for the FSC Credential through the Entitled Route.
- Lake Land Community College (Levels 2-4)
- Truman College (Levels 2-4)
- Rockford University (Level 5)
- Eastern Illinois University (Level 5)
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale (Level 5)