You could receive a Gateways Scholarship to help pay for your college coursework if you...
- Care for Illinois children in an IDCFS licensed program or ISBE funded Preschool for All program.
Work in an Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (IDCFS) licensed full-day/full-year child care program in one of the following positions: center director, assistant director, teacher, assistant teacher, school-age teacher, or school-age assistant.
Work in an IDCFS licensed full-day/full-year family/group child care home in one of the following positions: family child care provider, family child care assistant, group home provider, or group home assistant.
Work in an IDCFS licensed school-age care program operating nine months per year in one of the following positions: center director, assistant director, teacher, assistant teacher, school-age teacher, school-age assistant.
Work in an ISBE funded Preschool for All program that operates a minimum of 9 months per year, as a teacher or teacher's aide.
- Have been employed at your current program for at least a one year.
- Work an average of 15 hours per week.
- Meet wage requirements.
The maximum hourly wage is $24.00. Your hourly wage determines the amount the Gateways Scholarship will pay for tuition and fees.
% Gateways Scholarship Program Would Pay % Applicant Would Pay Hourly Wage Gross Yearly Wage Working Full Time 90 10 up to $12.50 up to $26,020 80 20 $12.51 - $15.00 $26,021 - $31,220 70 30 $15.01 - $18.00 $37,460 - $43,699 60 40 $18.01 - $21.00 $37,460 - $43,699 50 50 $21.01 - $24.00 $43,700 - $49,920
*For bachelor’s and master’s level coursework, the highest tuition rate a scholarship can be based on is the current school year rate of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Be a citizen of the United States or a legal resident.
- Commit to future work in early care and education or school-age care depending on scholarship type.
Work commitment periods follow:
- 6 months for completion of a coursework contract
- 1 year for AA or AAS completion
- 1 year for BS or MS completion
- 1 year for certificate, approval, endorsement completion
The work commitment must be completed in one of the following early care and education or school-age care programs:
- IDCFS licensed full-day, full-year family/group child care home
- IDCFS licensed full-day, full-year child care center
- Licensed school-age program operating a minimum of 9 months a year
- ISBE funded Preschool for All program